Researchers recommend sleeping for 7-9 hours per night. Even small deficits can pose problems like decreased athleticism, diminished brain function, increased inflammation and a greater likelihood to get sick- sleeping only 6 hours per night makes you four times more likely to catch a cold when compared to sleeping 7 or more hours. Regular spinal adjustments can help you squeeze in those hours to make sure you sleep better through the night.
- Ideally, eat your last meal 3-4 hours before bedtime and especially limit heavy, spicy or high-fat foods.
- Ration how much you drink before bedtime to minimize bathroom breaks.
- Particularly limit caffeine in the afternoon and evening- caffeine has a half-life of 6-9 hours and can keep you awake long after the last sip.
- Say no to a night cap! Alcohol disrupts the pattern of sleep and brainwaves that help you feel refreshed in the morning.
- Put your gadgets away an hour before bedtime to fall asleep more quickly and sleep more soundly. Light from these devices stimulates the brain, making it harder to wind down.
Remember, at Coast Chiropractic Centers our goal is to get you healthy and maximize your life health potential because your greatest wealth is your health! Call our office today to set up an appointment with Dr. B. Timothy Harcourt to see what he can do to help you sleep better too!