Whiplash or whiplash associated disorders (WAD) represent a constellation of symptoms that are very similar to those reported by patients who have sustained a concussion or minor-traumatic brain injury (mTBI). These shared symptoms include (but are not limited to): headache; neck pain; nausea/vomiting; dizziness; balance issues; vision problems; and difficulty concentrating. Chiropractic care focused on the cervical spine has been demonstrated to benefit patients with WAD. Is it possible that the same form of treatment can help the mTBI patient as well?
In the March 2015 issue of the journal The Physician and Sportsmedicine, researchers looked at case studies involving five patients with concussion symptoms that did not resolve within 30 days and had become chronic. The mechanism of injury in three of the cases was sport-related, while the other two stemmed from a slip and fall and a motor vehicle collision. Treatment focused on the cervical spine and included the use of either spinal manipulative therapy (SMT) or mobilization; active release technique (ART) to stretch tight neck muscles; and exercises aimed at strengthening the deep neck flexor muscles and/or other surrounding neck musculature.
• Case 1: A 25-year-old professional mixed martial arts male injured from sparring presented four months after the injury. After three treatments, he reported a significant reduction in symptoms, with full resolution after eight treatments.
• Case 2: A 59-year-old female who hit the back of her head on the ground after a fall presented with 31-month duration of symptoms that reportedly improved significantly within three months of twice-per-week treatments.
• Case 3: A 19-year-old male junior hockey player presented two years after the initial injury and reportedly experienced an 80% improvement in his symptom after four treatments spread out over a three-week timeframe.
• Case 4: A 19-year-old male injured in a car accident presented 14 weeks after the injury and reported a nearly 50% reduction in symptoms after one treatment and full resolution after eight treatments.
• Case 5: A 51-year-old female hockey player who was struck on the left side of the head presented five weeks post-injury and reported a full resolution of symptoms after three treatments per week for six weeks.
The important point here is that treatment was aimed ONLY at the cervical spine, not the concussion, with excellent results in each case. These findings indicate the need for larger studies concerning the use of conservative chiropractic care for cases of mTBI that do not resolve within a month’s time.
So, if you have had a car accident in Fort Myers and you have neck pain, dizziness, vertigo, or imbalance and type in pain management near me, whiplash, or even car accident lawyer you may find Coast Chiropractic Centers with Dr. Timothy Harcourt, me, comes up.
You may wonder, “Do I need an MRI scan of my neck or back”?
Also, if you feel arm or leg pain it may indicate things are getting worse and” may indicate a bulge on the disc or worse yet a herniated disc in your neck and/or back. Shoulder pain is very common with whiplash and could require conservative treatment right away to avoid injections or worse yet, surgery. A foggy brain may indicate a mild traumatic brain injury. Persistent or worsening pain intensity and/or frequency necessitates a visit to see a professional.
If you would like to avoid chronic whiplash symptoms in the first place or to take a proactive approach to your health and wellness, our membership program called Club C may be just the thing for you with great cost savings, convenience, and even more importantly, a plan to get your health back and keep it.
Call me, Dr. Tim Harcourt, at (239) 278-3344 or stop by in for a walk in visit and we will submit the bills to your auto carrier for payment.
Has your chiropractor ever asked, “Did you do your exercises?” Well,…
I’m sure we’ve all rationalized our inability to keep up with…
Every season brings unique activities that require us to perform some…
In Florida, auto accident victims must seek medical care within 14…
Neck pain is a very common complaint that chiropractors treat on a…