Stay Fit and Healthy While You Travel!
PREPARE BEFORE YOUR TRIP
- Book a hotel that has a small fitness center/gym. This is probably the most convenient way to stay active on your trip. Get a quick workout done in the morning before you head out for the day.
- If you can’t get a hotel with a gym, consider one that is within walking distance to shops, restaurants, or trails, so that you can travel everywhere on foot. If the city is bike-friendly, arrange to rent a bicycle for transportation.
- Pack a few supplies to help you workout right in your hotel room. Resistance bands, workout or yoga videos, and a jump rope are all easy to pack.
- Use a pedometer to track your steps. If you don’t normally wear one, try doing a “test” day before you leave so you can define a baseline of how many steps you take on an average day. Then, on your trip, you’ll know if you’re being more or less active. Maybe it will motivate you to get moving!
STAY ACTIVE AT THE AIRPORT
- Walk the halls of the airport instead of sitting around at the gate.
- Find a vacant area to do some stretching during your layovers. Long flights will have your legs feeling stiff.
- A lot of airports now have counter-height charging stations. Consider standing to use your laptop, tablet, or phone in between flights.
STAY ACTIVE DURING YOUR TRIP
- Go sight-seeing on foot. Stay out of a car as much as you can.
- Take the stairs when possible.
- Opt to stand on a train, subway, or bus. Offer your seat to someone who really needs it.
- Schedule some fun activities that won’t even feel like you’re exercising, such as hiking, cycling, or dancing.
- Create a standing desk in your room. Place your laptop on a tall dresser, or use objects (maybe an ice bucket) to boost your computer up to eye level while you stand and work.
No matter if the purpose of your trip is for business or for pleasure, the most important tip we can give is to enjoy yourself. Embrace your ability to move your body and the opportunity you have to travel and experience other parts of the world!
If you get back home and can't get rid of that pain you got over vacation, call us! Graston Technique and Laser Therapy, paired with an adjustment, can be great tools to reduce your pain and help you move better, feel better, and live better! Call our office today if you or someone you know needs to let their body take a vacation from pain!